“These are challenging times. Whatever you’re feeling is OK.”
Acknowledge and Listen
- Acknowledge that something happened.
- Review the facts without going into details.
- Listen and provide an opportunity for discussion.
“Here are some ways that can help keep us safe right now…”
Inform and Remind
- Help your team check-in with themselves about their mental health.
- Emphasize the importance of taking care of themselves.
- Remind them about using healthy coping strategies.
- Share available resources
“How else can I support you?”
Respond and Follow-up
- Observe your team and follow-up with members in the upcoming hours, days, and weeks.
- Walk the talk by modeling healthy coping strategies and seeking help if needed.
When to use it?
- Following exposure to any potential stressor or workplace incident.
Any time the stress level is high in the team after any immediate threat has passed.