What to look for in a mental health app
Here are some key criteria to consider when assessing any potential mental health app from MHCC and CIHR
- Effectiveness: What is the app’s intended purpose? Can it actually do what it says it will? Is there proof?
- Usability: Is the app user-friendly and engaging enough to make people want to keep using it?
- Security and Privacy: Does the app clearly state how it will collect, store, use and protect personal health information?
- Functionality: What functions does the app offer (e.g., journaling, mood tracking, guided exercises)?
- Target users: Who is the intended audience for the app? Is it clear who should or should not be using it?
- Inclusion: Does the app consider the needs and preferences of diverse people? How appropriate is the app for people from a variety of cultures?
- Price: Is the app upfront about its cost or are there hidden/extra fees?
- Transparency: Does the app clearly state the individuals or organizations involved?